When Should You Start An Anti-Aging Regimen? Right Now
If you’ve been wondering when you should start an anti-aging regimen, the answer is: it’s never too soon. How you treat your skin now will have a huge impact on how it looks and behaves in the future so don’t wait a single minute to protect and nourish it. Here are a few easy ways to get started:
Start Wearing Sunscreen SPF 30 or Higher Every Day
Wear a broad spectrum sunscreen rated SPF 30 or higher every day. Even if it’s cloudy. Sun damage is the number one cause of skin aging. Telltale signs of sun damage include skin discolorations (aka dark spots), fine lines, wrinkles, and rough skin texture—all of the signs we also associate with aging skin.
Don’t Sleep in Your Makeup
Give your skin a break by washing away your makeup and all the environmental stressors your skin has been exposed to during the day. Washing off all your makeup before bed also gives you the opportunity to apply anti-aging treatment products to perfectly cleansed skin for maximum absorption and maximum benefit.
Develop a Daily Anti-Aging Skin Care Routine
- Research the best skin care products for aging skin to find ones that are high-quality. Also, select products that are formulated for your skin type. For example, if you have oily skin, don’t choose a rich moisturizing cream.
- Start simply with facial cleansing and moisturizing in the morning and evening. Make sure your daytime moisturizer contains SPF 30 or higher.
- Depending on your skin’s specific needs, add in non-astringent toning, non-abrasive exfoliation and serum/treatment steps to round out your anti-aging skin care regimen.
Lead a Healthy Lifestyle
Finally, the best anti-aging skin care includes caring for yourself as a whole, so remember to:
- Take care of your body - eat a healthy diet, stay hydrated, exercise regularly, set a regular sleep schedule, and don’t smoke.
- Take care of your mind - spend time with loved ones and practice stress reduction and relaxation techniques.