With an unlimited amount of products on the market these days it can seem overwhelming to try to pinpoint the best skincare routine for your skin type. From acne-prone to dry, we’re sharing the best daily skincare regimen to target your specific needs.
What it means: If you have acne-prone skin, your skin produces an excess amount of sebum, pores clog easily, and you experience breakouts more often than most people. You’ll want to start with a twice-daily cleansing routine that gives you a clean complexion that will help you to banish existing breakouts.
Best Skincare Routine For Acne-Prone Skin
- Morning and night, apply a cleanser like Clarisonic Pore & Blemish Gel Cleanser featuring 2% salicylic acid. Using this gel cleanser with Clarisonic face brush will efficiently remove excess oil and blemishes without over-drying the skin. Apply cleanser to Clarisonic Acne Cleansing Brush Head to gently cleanse, exfoliate, and remove impurities from the pores. Remember to never leave your makeup on at night, as this can result in breakouts.
- After cleansing, apply a toner to help remove any excess oils without stripping the skin of moisture. Toners can also help to calm the appearance of the skin which is key when your complexion is prone to breakouts.
- Daily, apply an oil-free moisturizer formulated with SPF. It’s a common misconception that acne-prone skin will react negatively from wearing SPF and layering on moisturizer. In fact, skipping these skincare essentials can make breakouts appear worse overtime. Look for formulas that are non-comedogenic, meaning they won’t clog pores and contribute to new breakouts.
- At night, apply a spot treatment formulated with acne-fighting ingredients to any problem areas and then layer on an oil-free moisturizer since acne-fighting ingredients can dehydrate your skin.
- Once a week, reach for a face mask formulated with charcoal to help to rid your pores of any impurities.
What it means: If you have dry skin your skin feels rough and dehydrated, appears dull, and is in need of more moisture. There are a number of things that can cause dry skin including environmental factors, bad skincare habits, and age. To best treat dry skin, the key is to incorporate products into your skincare routine that have hydrating properties.
Best Skincare Routine For Dry Skin
- Morning and night, cleanse your face using the Radiance Foaming Milk Cleanser paired with Clarisonic Radiance Cleansing Brush Head. This combination can help to gently cleanse away and dullness caused by dry skin, leaving you with a more radiant, soft, healthier-looking complexion.
- After cleansing, layer on a serum formulated with hyaluronic acid—a humectant that holds up to 1000x its weight in water—and vitamin C—an antioxidant that can help to neutralize free radicals.
- Daily, apply a moisturizing cream formulated with SPF to help lock in that hydration and protect your skin from the drying effects of the sun.
- At night, use a rich cream or overnight mask that’s packed with hydration and can help to leave your skin looking and feeling moisturized and supple in the morning.
One to three times a week, exfoliate your skin’s surface to remove any buildup of dead skin cells and follow up with a hydrating sheet mask to infuse your complexion with moisture.
What it means: Oily skin is the result of the overproduction of sebum that can cause a greasy-looking complexion and unwanted shine. The solution? Opting for light yet hydrating gel type formulas that can help to remove excess oils without stripping the skin of moisture.
Best Skincare Routine For Oily Skin:
- Morning and night, use a gel cleanser formulated for oily skin and cleanse with Clarisonic Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head. Even though it may seem like oily skin needs to be cleansed more than twice a day, don’t. Over-washing your face can strip your skin of its necessary oils and can cause your sebaceous glands to compensate by producing even more oil in the long run.
- Apply a toner formulated for oily skin. This can help to balance oil production while restoring any lost hydration from cleansing.
- Morning and night, you’ll want to use a lightweight water-based moisturizer. Just like other skin types, oily skin requires moisture to remain balanced. Lightweight options give your skin the hydration it needs without a heavy, weighed-down feeling.
- Daily, after using a lightweight moisturizer, reach for a mineral SPF with a matte finish to protect your skin from the sun without causing it to feel greasy.
- One to three times a week, reach for a clay face mask to help to purify your pores of excess oils and leave your skin mattified and smooth.
What it means: If you have skin that reacts with redness to new products or techniques—like exfoliation—and often feels irritated, you likely have sensitive skin. Sensitive skin requires a gentle touch to look and feel its best.
Best Skincare Routine For Sensitive Skin:
- Morning and night, use a gentle cleanser such as Clarisonic Refreshing Gel Cleanser on top of Clarisonic Sensitive Brush Head to give a deep yet gentle cleanse. (Clarisonic facial cleansing brushes have been tested safe and gentle for all skin types—including sensitive.) Using a gentle cleanser helps to rid your skin of the impurities without dehydrating and irritating your skin.
- After cleansing, use a calming face mist formulated for sensitive skin. Thermal water sprays are a great option.
- Daily, apply a lightweight, hyaluronic acid-formulated moisturizer and follow with a broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect your sensitive skin from the sun.
- At night, use a lightweight facial oil which can help to balance any excess oil production while also helping to hydrate any dry areas of your skin.
- As needed, apply skin soothing face mask to your face to help add moisture and leave you with a calm, glowing complexion.
Simply put, the best skincare routine for you is one that meets your needs and is customized for your skin type and skin care concerns. If you aren’t feeling satisfied with your current daily skincare regimen, speak to your dermatologist who can give you more personalized advice.